Saturday, April 5, 2008




Dos:
1. Embrace the new trend of hijab-worthy scarves at all the greatest stores! The material is generally quite airy and comfortable, even after wrapping a few times. This one: Forever 21, $9.80

2. Colorful spring cardigans are in! These breathable, lightweight sweaters are an eye-catching way to add modesty to any outfit. These ones: a. Gap, $59.99 b. Banana Republic, $29.99-$58.00
3. Cotton wraps and shirtdresses are all the rage. They're also the perfect addition to a modest muslima's wardrobe. Wear them with jeans and a nice long sleeved undershirt or cardigan and you're good to go! This one: Newport News, $29.00
4. Gorgeous long skirts bring spring to anyone's step. A rainbow of colors is out there to compliment any outfit. This one: Dorothy Perkins, about $39.89

Also, dress up your wardrobe with colorful jewelry, shoes, and accessories. Spring is a great time to add color to your world.
Donts:
5. Skirts over pants! This just looks silly and it usually ends up being too bulky and busy. Opt, instead, for a longer shirt or a full length skirt.
6. Cropped cardigans. These little things are great for parties or hangout with your girlfriends, but they really add nothing to a modest muslima's outfit. They are too fitted around the chest and they accentuate the waist too much.
7. Cork shoes. They may be comfortable, but these babies are just plain ugly. They always look dirty and aren't the least bit feminine. Just say no to cork.
8. Jersey dresses. Jersey is a terrible idea for a muslima's dress material because it shows every curve. Keep your sacred secrets to yourself and opt for a more rigid fabric.
9. Skinny jeans. Skinny jeans are a humble hijabi's nemesis in every way. Not only do they show everything we should try to keep under wraps, but they are also extremely unflattering to the general public. Opt for flares with knee-length tops or wide legs with thigh-length or longer tops for a more decorous look.
Jakumallahu Khairan

Ruqiyyah

Labels: , , ,

posted by Ruqiyyah at 2:31 PM |

3 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Blogger Pixie said........
I love all your dos but I love some of your don'ts---I wear jesery dresses with pants underneath to keep them from clinging and they work perfect this way for the winter months. You wouldn't know the fabric was jersey and you wouldn't know I has wearing pants (those cropped cotton ones are perfect). I wear just above the knee length loose skirts over regular trousers (not skin tight but not wide wide cut) and a turtle neck sweater, and I've found, if I wear my hijab just so (a pashmina) so that it is draped triangularily across my chest like a shawl with all the knots/tassels on the angle, it looks insanely elegent, and never bulky or silly. I will try to get some of my non-muslim friends to pose in my wardrobe so I can post the pictures up. And I love cork! I agree, jersey is off limits for shirt material though---I haven;t been able to adapt yet to the snugness on my arms.
 


At April 19, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Blogger Ruqiyyah said........
Thanks for your comment Alixianna!

The reason I don't discuss jersey dress with pants underneath is because I prefer to wear leggings because I feel like pants are too bulky. If, however, you do manage to pull it off without the bluk then all power to you!
Same thing with the skirts. It's just not my thing, I would love too see it though, so please do post pics.
And cork is just not my style either.

Next time I'll try to keep my own personal opinions out of it and just stick to dos and donts of modesty!
JAK
Ruqiyyah
 


At April 24, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
thank you sooooo much for the tips... this year i am changing my look so that i can be in style but yet still fit into the rules of islam... it's so hard to find things that still is allowed in islam... thank you...